Thursday, November 12, 2009

Countdown to Thanksgiving

Just in case you didn't already know, I am not originally from the United States. I was born in Scotland and moved here to the US at age 22 with my husband, who is American, and at that time was in the US Navy. I miss my home country but have really enjoyed living here and experiencing this different way of life. So, I did not grow up with the tradition of Thanksgiving  but it is one which I was happy to adopt and celebrate, and I love it. (I have been amazed over the years at how many people here have asked me if we celebrate Thanksgiving in the U.K., I have to remind them it is an American holiday!)


Well, it is only 2 weeks until Thanksgiving so it's time to get planning. Do you have a traditional turkey dinner? We are having turkey this year, my hubby isn't crazy about turkey but my kids and I love the whole turkey meal. I promised to cook roast beef the day before Thanksgiving to keep my husband happy - he can eat leftover beef instead of turkey if he wants!

So... having said all that, I will try to share some Thanksgiving tips and recipes for you over the next 2 weeks, and I really would love to receive your input. Please share your tips and favorite Thanksgiving recipes with me. I will gladly give you credit and/or link to your blog posts if you have them.

At this time, the best tip I can give you is start planning your Thanksgiving celebration.
  • Where will you spend Thanksgiving?
  • Will you invite guests to your home? If so, now is the time to extend those invitations, don't wait or they will make other plans!
  • Plan the menu if you are hosting the meal.
  • Decide if you will ask your guests to bring a dish to share.
  • How can you make the celebration extra special?
Don't worry if you can't answer all of these questions right away, just get started if you haven't already. Also, don't forget this is a time to give thanks, not just to eat a big meal. Visit me for Thirty Days of Thanksgiving at In All Your Ways each day this month to help direct your thoughts toward giving thanks.

Stay tuned.....

Smart Mom

Share/Save/Bookmark

Please remember to shop at Smart Mom's Store I appreciate your support


No comments: